Sunday, September 19, 2010

The Local Slant

Below is the article on the Sewanee Website about yesterday's beating.
The second quarter proved to be a killer for the Sewanee football team today. After holding the Tigers of Hampden-Sydney College to just three points in the first stanza, Sewanee gave up four touchdowns in the second period as Hampden-Sydney went up 31-0 and never looked back. Hampden-Sydney would add one more touchdown in the third quarter to make it 38-0, a score that would stand until the final buzzer.

Things started slowly for the visiting Sewanee Tigers ...
and the men in purple were never able to gain enough momentum to find the end zone. Hampden-Sydney quarterback Travis Lane racked up 260 passing yards and threw for three touchdowns on a day when the Sewanee defense gave up 440 yards of total offense. Sewanee was only able to muster 42 passing yards, on three for nine passing, and 80 rushing yards in the contest.
Back-to-back three and outs, one for each team, started off play in the first quarter and on Sewanee' second possession of the day, the Tigers took one play to fumble away the football. On the ensuing Hampden-Sydney possession the purple Tiger defense was able to find a bright spot, as Sewanee's J.D. Crabtree intercepted a Travis Lane pass, giving Sewanee the ball back. But the Tigers were unable to capitalize, managing only thirteen yards of offense on four plays before being forced to punt the ball away. Senior Geoff Marolda's punt forced the Hampden-Sydney Tigers to begin their drive at their own 17-yard line, but HSC marched 73 yards down the field to the Sewanee ten, where kicker David Prizzia was able to put Hampden-Sydney on the board with a 27-yard field goal. Hampden-Sydney's 3-0 lead with 2:39 left in the first quarter was the slimmest margin of the day and the HSC Tigers never looked back.
Following Prizzia's field goal, Sewanee completed only three plays and gained seven yards before having to punt the ball away again. After the punt, Hampden-Sydney put together a string of five straight possessions with a touchdown before finally coming up empty on a drive. The Hampden-Sydney Tigers took control of the ball with 21 seconds left in the first quarter and moved the ball to the Sewanee 24 before Lane tossed a 24-yard touchdown pass to Kyle Vance for a 9-0 HSC lead 1:21 into the second quarter.
The two Tiger squads traded punts and touchdowns for the rest of the first half after Vance's first TD throw. Sewanee punted the ball three times in the second quarter while Hampden-Sydney tallied three touchdowns, including a Regis Craft one-yard rushing score, a second Lane to Vance 24-yard TD connection, and an Evan King one-yard run into the end zone. The Sewanee Tigers were unable to muster anything offensively and the team headed into the locker room, down 31-0 at the half.
Coming out of halftime, Hampden-Sydney was able to continue their touchdown string and extend it to five drives in a row, when Travis Lane threw another scoring pass, this time a 2-yarder to Andrew Buckner with 11:31 left in the third quarter. Neither Tiger squad was able to find the end zone after that, ending the day with a final score of 38-0, in favor of host Hampden-Sydney.
Curtis Johnson led the Sewanee rushing attack with 35 yards on nine attempts, including a long run of 23 yards. Senior John Ugorji paced the Tiger receiving corps with one reception for 28 yards. Freshman quarterback Lee Schurlknight finished the day two for five passing, with one interception.
Defensively, Alfonza Knight led the Tigers with 11 tackles, followed by J.D. Crabtree with six tackles and one interception. J.P. Boudreaux tallied four tackles, including one for a loss, and two pass breakups.
Sewanee, now 1-2 on the season, will stay on the road next week as they travel to Greencastle, Indiana to take on the Tigers of DePauw University in an SCAC contest. The two Tiger squads will face off at 1:00 p.m EST

No comments:

Post a Comment